Cobalt Development Institute Principles and Objectives
The Cobalt Development Institute (CDI) is a non-profit trade association composed of producers, users, recyclers, and traders of cobalt. We promote the sustainable and responsible production and use of cobalt in all its forms.
We act as a knowledge centre for Governments, agencies, Industry, the media and the public on all matters concerning cobalt and cobalt containing substances. We represent the voice of the Cobalt Industry on cobalt related health, safety, and environmental issues. We also promote co-operation between Members, especially on issues of the environment and human health, and provide a mechanism for the development of independent information concerning the resources, production and safe use of cobalt
As a member of the Associations Group of the International Council for Mining and Metals (ICMM) our Members endeavour to embrace the ‘five values’ developed by this organisation:
Care for the safety, health and well-being of workers, contractors,host communities and users of materials produced
Respect for people and the environment
Open, transparent and inclusive collaboration on matters involving human health and the environment
With the ICMM values in mind we strive to achieve high standards in our sector as exemplified by our 7-Guiding Principles:
1. Maintain high ethical standards in all aspects of work.
2. Operate with high standards of social responsibility.
3. Encourage the implementation of robust internal reporting structures to ensure transparent and sustainable operating practices.
4. Work with Regulators and Legislators to communicate the latest science data, ensure it is appropriately applied and encompass best practices regarding any intrinsic hazards and risk management principles.
5. Continue to develop scientific information on cobalt to ensure the fullest understanding of cobalt in the context of human health and the environment.
6. Work to promote and develop uses for cobalt in a responsible and sustainable way.
7. Encourage the Guiding Principles of cobalt to be used throughout the life cycle.
There has been some form of the Cobalt Development Institute in existence since 1957. Formed in 1982, the present Institute is an international organisation of a wholly non-profit making character. It is an association of producers, users and traders of cobalt with the objectives of:
- Promoting the responsible use of cobalt in all forms.
- Consulting organisations, agencies and governments for research or investigations on all matters concerning cobalt.
- Providing members with topical information on all cobalt matters including health & safety and environmental legislation plus regulatory affairs possibly affecting their interests.
- Promoting co-operation between members and providing a forum for the exchange of information concerning the resources, production and uses of cobalt.
Membership of the Institute may be Full (voting) or Associate (non-voting). Currently, we have 44 members from 18 countries including all the major cobalt producers.